Crispy Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steaks
Best Tofu for Tofu Steaks
What else you need to make Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steak
For the Teriyaki Sauce
How to make Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steaks
Making the Teriyaki Sauce
Mmm, that Teriyaki Sauce-soaked sesame crust …
What to serve with Sesame-Crusted Tofu
Watch how to make it
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Sesame Crusted Tofu Steaks with Teriyaki Sauce
- 4 extra firm or hard tofu , cut into 10 x 5 x 1.5cm slices (4 x 2 x 0.6″), 100g / 3.5oz each (Note 1)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour , plain/all purpose
- 1 egg , lightly whisked
- 4 tbsp white sesame seeds (Note 2) (yes, you really need 4 tbsp!)
- 4 tbsp black sesame seeds (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely sliced 1mm thick (optional, Note 2)
- 1 green onion , finely sliced (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce , preferably Japanese all-purpose, else light soy sauce (Note 4)
- 2 tbsp mirin , preferably Japanese (Note 5)
- 2 tbsp cooking sake , preferably Japanese (Note 6)
- 2 tbsp water
- Season tofu: Pat tofu dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare crust coating: Place flour, egg and sesame in separate bowls (medium shallow bowls or tupperware best).
- Sesame crust: Press tofu into flour, shake off excess. Dip in egg, then let excess drip off before coat in sesame seeds, pressing to adhere all over. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Crispy garlic: Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Cook tofu: Turn heat up to medium-high. Place tofu in skillet and cook for 1 1/2 minutes until the sesame smells nutty and becomes crisp. Turn carefully and cook the other side for 1 1/2 minutes. Then use tongs to prop the tofu steaks up on its sides to sear the edges until crisp – about 30 seconds each side should do it (see video for my technique).
- Drain: Remove tofu to paper towel lined plate.
- Teriyaki Sauce: Lower heat to medium then add Teriyaki Sauce ingredients. Simmer for 1 minute until it reduces to a syrupy consistency, then remove skillet from stove.
- Serve: Place tofu steak on plate. Spoon over Teriyaki Sauce (it clings to sesame, don't worry, crust stays crispy). Sprinkle with garlic and green onion. Devour, then declare, "I LOVE TOFU!!".
Leave a Comment