The most amazing Grilled Shrimp is CRISPY on the outside, juicy on the inside, and doused with Lemon Garlic Butter. They’re all MINE!!
And…. welcome to GRILLING WEEK!!🔥🔥🔥
🔥Welcome to GRILLING WEEK!🔥
With 4th of July around the corner and several pending invitations to “pop over to the States” to join the festivities, I thought I’d get the party started with GRILLING WEEK here on RecipeTin Eats!!
Here’s a little preview of what’s in store – if this doesn’t make your stomach grumble, you’re either made of stone, or a vegetarian…. 😂
And we’re kicking off Grilling Week with a ripper – CRISPY Grilled Shrimp with LEMON GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE!!
This Grilled Shrimp recipe is designed to make the most of cooking shrimp on the BBQ. It has it all!
TEXTURE – from the crispy surface of the shrimp and little golden bits of garlic in the butter sauce
FLAVOUR – from the smokey char from the BBQ, seasoning on the shrimp, the shrimp itself and of course, butter, butter, butter…
LUXURY – from the rich butter sauce
SPEED – it’s a 10 minute recipe, from start to finish!
What you need
I used to be a fresh prawn/shrimp snob because I always found the texture and flavour of frozen shrimp lacking compared to peeling fresh ones. But nowadays, you can get very good frozen peel shrimp and that’s what I use on a day to day basis.
Shrimp versus prawns
Same thing! What the US and Canada call “shrimp” is called “prawns” in most of the rest of the world. Being Aussie, I usually write my recipes as “prawn” first and foremost, but today’s recipe is for my friends in the US so it’s SHRIMP all the way!
How to cook it
Very speedy! Specifically for this recipe, there is:
no marinating needed. In fact, you should NOT season ahead of time because it will draw moisture out of the shrimp
6 minutes total cook time – 2 minutes for the butter, 4 minutes for the shrimp on the BBQ
The only thing to watch out for is to ensure you do not overcook the shrimp! Overcooked shrimp is tough and rubbery – if you throw it at a wall, it’ll bounce right back and hit you in the face. 😂
100% yes for the stove. In fact, I had to rephotograph it today because I wasn’t happy with the photos (who me? Fussy? 🤪) but it’s raining so I cooked it inside. Same crust, same flavour!
But the oven is a no-go zone I’m afraid – just can’t get the same crust because of the short cook time.
The shrimp is just the first part….
The really great thing about this Grilled Shrimp recipe is that it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
Eat the juicy shrimp first…….
……..then you get to mop up all that gorgeous Lemon Garlic Butter with crusty bread……
I hate to talk like a teenager, but sometimes the occasion warrants it.
I feel like this shrimp is one such occasion!! 😂 – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Crispy Grilled Shrimp (Prawns) with Lemon Butter Sauce
Lemon Garlic Butter:
- 90g / 6 tbsp butter , unsalted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic , very finely chopped (do not use mincer, Note 1)
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice , plus more to taste
- 500g/ 1 lb large shrimp / prawns , raw, peeled and deveined (Note 2)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (plain or sweet ok too)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (skip if using stove)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon , halved, grilled if desired
- Lemon wedges or slices
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Brush BBQ grills with oil, then preheat on high until very hot.
- If shrimp are small and might fall through grills, skewer them (use 2 skewers, Note 3)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and salt. Stir until garlic is LIGHT golden brown, then immediately remove from stove (residual heat will make garlic golden & crispy).
- Stir through lemon.
Shrimp/Prawns (Stove: Note 4):
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels (to ensure crispiness!)
- Just prior to cooking, place in bowl, sprinkle/drizzle over remaining ingredients. Toss gently to coat.
- Working quickly, place shrimp on BBQ and cook each side for 2 minutes until golden and crusty.
- Immediately remove shrimp onto serving plate.
- Drizzle over all the Lemon Garlic Butter, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with fresh lemon.
- Crusty bread to mop up the crazy delish butter on the plate is essential!
Life of Dozer
I took most of the prawns I made earlier today to Geoff, the local who lives in his car at the dog park.
Neither Dozer nor his companion Cleo got to try it. Too much garlic, bad for dogs!
Leave a Comment